Thursday, June 12, 2008

Some days are just better than others


Today I hit the big 2-6. Twenty-six years of this wonderful life that I call my own. Twenty six years of freedom, food, shelter, and very minimal worries. All things that the starving orphans in countries all around the world will never have. The guilt I have over my many blessings continues to burden me. How could this life be so luxurious for me and so difficult for God's other children? I continue to seek answers.

I wish I could have my daughter home. I wish that she was in her bed, snug as a bug in a rug, getting up at 2am for drinks of water, and waking me up to make breakfast at sunrise! These are familiar feelings that I had this time last year as we waited for our I-171H to arrive. For my birthday present last year Cortney took me to Babies-R-Us and we bought all of the nursery essentials. This year, all of those beautiful things are in the pristine nursery while the true essentials are in my bedroom along with my sleeping one year old! Life is good. I smile more now than I ever have and I find myself being more thankful for the little things. I am in love with a little boy that has taken over my world and given me more purpose than I have ever known.

So, happy birthday to me and here's to many more!


Future baseball star!


Lounging with mommy in the pool!



Seriously...do you know how much I want to kiss this little face off???




8 comments:

DC said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :)

I love the new pics. Ian's just getting cuter and cuter!

Renee said...

Happy Birthday my sweet friend! I love Ian' hair it's getting so long and curly- just darling!

kristen said...

Happy Birthday! (You're so young!!) :)

I know what you're saying - life is so good, and waiting for a child to come home is so bittersweet!! She'll be here before you know it and i can't wait to read all about it! It does seem unfair that life here is so good while she waits - but she'll be here before you know it.

He is the CUTEST little thing. I love reading his updates too and seeing his pictures!

Dan, Misty & Ashar said...

Very happy birthday to you! He is just more precious every day. It's crazy that pretty soon he'll be a little brother!

brotayjax said...

I agree wholeheartedly with your feelings about your b-day. I'm approaching a b-day, too (although a decade+ older than you) and I've had similar thoughts. Thanks for putting it so eloquently.

Hope your day was happy and enjoy that little man while you wait for your girl to come home to her forever family.

brotayjax said...

As an aside, I have lost your email address and I have some questions I'd like to ask you about Gladney and the experience/process you've had with adopting an older child. Could you please send me a short email so I can respond?

My email address is brotayjax@cox.net

Thanks! Alyson (Pacey's Aunt)

Nicholas said...

Happy birthday! Enjoy every moment sister, I've got ten plus on you!!

Ian is just too cute!! Happy Fathers Day Dudda!

Around the World said...

Happy Birthday a few days late!! For your birthday I'm going to get you your I-171!! Here is hoping it arrives THIS WEEK!! Should be coming really soon....yours just has to travel farther to reach you than ours did....so I'm thinking it should arrive today or tomorrow!!!!

Happy Birthday, Blog Friend:)

LESLEY