Sunday, December 14, 2008

1 year ago today...



I guess every person has little anniversaries that stick out from the normal day-to-day. Things aside from birthday, wedding, holiday, proposal... As an adoptive mom I celebrate things like "Referral Day", "Court Date", and the most wonderful of them all, "In My Arms Forever day". I remember each event that led up to that moment when two very weary travelers, who had braved over 60 hours of missed flights, lay-overs, and airline changes and 10 pieces of perfectly matched luggage, arrived in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. It was here that one tiny boy was waiting to steal us from the childless life we looked forward to leaving behind. With pounding hearts and tear filled eyes, our in-country rep handed this perfect little person to me, to be with me forever. I stroked his head and kissed his cheeks like I had been dreaming of doing since the beginning of the daunting paperchase. I squeezed him tightly and allowed myself to be mesmerized by his beauty. He was mine. Finally we had him.

Those days that followed were magical. We have watched him grow from a shaky, unenthusiastic infant to a grown up little boy full of life and love. I have spent 12 months toting him around so prideful I could burst. Proud of my beautiful, intelligent son...proud to be his mother.

We are thankful today for the opportunity to know Ian and to be his parents. We never knew what an amazing journey parenthood would be. Making the trek with him has made life very entertaining to say the least! I know each day that God's plans are perfect. Our family has grown and is continuing to grow in the way God planned. I am just so grateful that His plan included letting Ian be with us.

Here's to one year together!

15 comments:

Renee said...

Loved it! And you totally stole the song I was going to use for Maryn and Keller family day montage! :0 Hope you're doing well, I'll give you a call soon so we can catch up!
Renee

Christina said...

Happy Famiversary! Ian is just so cute :)

Amy B. said...

So cute! Your video of picking him up was so sweet...and you know you had me sold with the Jason Mraz song on the montage. Have I mentioned that I saw him less than a month ago in concert...just had to bring that up one more time :)Hope you guys have a great Holiday season. So, glad that that M's court date is approaching soon. We're thinking of you. Happy happy family day!

Jocelyn said...

Happy anniversary...I love the slide show, it is amazing that it has been a year...Ian looks so happy and SO big:-) I can't wait to see pics of your entire family of 4!!

Dan, Misty & Ashar said...

Cortney,
That was so awesome! I just cried. What a beautiful family you have, and what an incredible year you've had!

veggiemom said...

Congrats on your Ian Day!!!

Amber said...

so inspiring and exciting!! thanks for sharing your special moments. hope to do the same soon!
Merry Christmas to all of you.

mama becca said...

Oh tears!
Beautiful boy, beautiful family :).

coffeemom said...

OH Happy Anniversary!!! It's still sweet enough to make me cry. He's so beautiful! As is your family!

Unknown said...

I've been following your blog for a bit and am struggling getting through the application process. Thanks so much for cheering me up!

Megan

Leah Reeves said...

Big Happy adoption Day!
Congratulations on a court date.

Lori said...

And it was about this time last year that you guys sent us such wonderful pics of Abe! What an amazing year, and what a beautiful boy. Thanks so much for posting this video.

Ellie said...

Aww! That was precious! I can't believe how big he has gotten and I can not believe it has been a whole year since we were all traveling. He was so little when we were there! He is too precious.
Im praying that "M"'s court date goes through on the first try!!

J, A, T and Y said...

Loved the videos...Ian is such a cutie!

Erica said...

TOTALLY cute. Love it. Beautiful family day celbration. Can't wait to hear about your newest addition.