Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Moving right along

Our dossier is in transit to Addis Ababa and is scheduled to arrive on July 7th. At that point there is nothing we can do except wait. Unfortunately, I anticipate our travel to be in Nov/Dec due to the rainy season and usual backlog of cases after the government closure. I am prepared for this and I am trying to enjoy the final months of our family of three!

Ian is doing so many things now. I was watching some old video today while uploading this video and I was amazed at how much he has changed in just 1 month. He is so much more steady now when he walks and he is repeating and mimicking every single thing he sees. He is such a little chatter box!

I have been reading some books on older child adoption and I catch myself being very naive at times. I have never parented an 8 year old child so I guess I just don't really know what to expect. Our social worker was very persistent in making certain that we are aware of all challenges we may be up against, but I keep thinking how it just won't be like that for us. Don't get me wrong, I know that she will probably have many issues with boundaries and defiance. I also know that grief and loss cause a whole host of issues. But in my mind at the end of the day I picture her being loving and happy to be part of our family. Check back in 6 months and I may be singing a different tune!

For now, enjoy this video of Ian admiring a picture of his sister-to-be. Be amazed at my nearly 13 month old son acting like a big boy.

9 comments:

Ian's Sissy said...

OHHHHHHH SOOOOO SWEEEETTTT!!!! I love that little boy SO incredibly much and seeing him being sweet like that OHHHH, makes me crazy, LOL

J, A, T and Y said...

Cool blog design....so fun!

Holli said...

so cute! and I love how honest you are about adopting a older child. What books are you reading?

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

Thanks so much for your sweet comment! I would love to exchange info and have the girls keep in touch!
What books are you reading? I am always interested to see how others are preparing....This will be our 2nd older child adoption...I do feel better prepared this time but the circumstances are sooo different!
Happy 4th of July!
Blessings,
Kristy

Sam said...

I love the new blog design....Let me know if you need any resources. I am sure we have a list of them at the office in our foster care department. I am sure that everything will work out great!

kristen said...

That is so adorable! He is precious... I love reading about him and seeing videos and pictures. Enjoy! :)

Tara said...

Aaaw, he loves his sister already! That is precious!! She is going to be so blessed to have such a wonderful family!!

Amy B. said...

The camera is not all that complicated, but the lenses do take some figuring out...and a lot of trial and error. The camera is a Pentax SLR digital camera. Then, you purchase additional lenses. It was my graduation present from my parents...my mom is into photography.

Amy

Adoption Cubed said...

What wonderful news to hear your dossier has been sent! It sounds like youre preparations are coming right along. I have ordered "The Connected Child" but wondered if you had any other books you would suggest? I like your idea of preparing a mini-scrapbook to send to M.!

Rebecca