Monday, October 13, 2008

From the beginning












One year ago today I was working on a busy Monday and a single phone call changed my life..past, present, and future. With a single sentence a voice on the other end of a phone dubbed us as...parents. Parents to an amazing little adventerous, Ian Parker Surafel. A little boy who was lying on a mattress in front of a foster center in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia the first day I ever laid eyes on him. A perfect little face with big brown eyes who looked up at me for the very first time and fell asleep in my arms minutes later. All of these events stem from this day one year ago when I first heard of this 5 month old, 10lbs, baby boy named Surafel meaning seraphin and cheribum from the bible.




If you read our blog you know how much our lives have changed over the past year. Ian has blossomed from this tiny, little, fraile being to a strong-willed, smart, inquisitive, assertive little boy. He steals my heart with every look and re-confirms the power of love with each action. One year of knowing him has brought our family more joy than we could've ever imagined.

6 comments:

Shelly Roberts said...

Ahhh .... love this post! How I eagerly wait to hear of progress on bringing home his big sis! :) May the Lord sustain you through this journey, dear sister. ~Shelly

Amy B. said...

What memories come back after reading this post. I remember actually gasping out loud when I read that you had gotten Ian's referral. I remember I called my mom as soon as I saw his picture pop up on my screen. I remember that I had been checking your blog every 5 minutes just knowing that you were going to hear something. It brings a smile to my face just thinking about it...like it was yesterday. Hard to believe it has been a year. I excited for your family...and can't wait to hear more about your sweet M.

Amy

Jenna Marie Howard said...

Hello
I just wanted to stop by and tell you I enjoy reading your blog. I am adopted and find such encouragement knowing you are adoptive parents. I am the Director of Public Relations for a non-profit organization called World Orphans. We build church based orphan homes all over the world and our mission is simple E3 to reach each church…each child…each community. I would love for you to take a look at our website and let me know if you have any questions. (www.worldorphans.com) I hope you will have a glorious blessed day!

Jocelyn said...

Happy referral anniversary. It doesn't seem possible that it was a year ago that we saw Ian's sweet fact. Hopefully soon we will be saying that about M.:-)

Amber said...

so awesome to see the fruits of all of His handiwork. we have begun our process to bring our little girl home. Thanks for sharing your story.

Dustin & Amy said...

It is hard to believe that it has been one year hence! Mr. Ian has grown so much and are looking forward to this next year!

Of course, we love the picture of him and his little BFF!