Saturday, October 13, 2007

10 weeks and a true loss

Yesterday we said a final good-bye to a warrior and a legend. My uncle, the lt col., spent 26 years of his life fighting for my freedom and yours. He spent time in Uganda and Rwanda, assisting medical professionals in the genocide laden villages, placing sewage pipes and constructing buildings. When the preacher read his accomplishments at the funeral service I could have kicked myself for not asking him more questions about his life. He was always full of stories, and when we visited he loved to tell them. As a child I always knew he was in the army but he usually wore civilian clothes and I always imagined that he worked in an office somewhere on the base. I guess I never realized that he was a jump master, mediator between the Saudi Arabian and US governments, and a member of PSYOPS. Please keep my aunt and cousin in your prayers as they deal with this loss.

On a lighter note...I have been tagged by Jocelyn. It was so nice to read every one's posts!!

Jobs I've Had
1. Rite Aid intern then pharmacist
2. UK Medical center pharmacy tech
3. Nichol's Apothecary
4. Velocity Market cashier

Places I've Lived
1. Pikeville, KY
2. Lexington, KY
3. Winchester, VA

Food I love
1. vanilla ice cream with little chocolate chips
2. mexican food

Places I would rather be
1. Ethiopia for sure
2. if not there somewhere sunny

Movies I love
1. Dirty Dancing
2. Save the last Dance
3. Happy Gilmore
4. Christmas Vacation
5. Hitch

TV Shows I watch
1. Grey's Anatomy
2. ER
3. CSI (Miami and Vegas)
4. the Real World
5. Prison Break
6. The Unit
The list goes on and on because I am a tv junkie. You will see this when you see my book list.

Books I love
1. the two books my sister has published "Happiness Against All Odds" and "He Shall be Called Wonderful"
2. Black Baby White Hands a view from the crib

I'm tagging The Bakers and Renee and Geert

3 comments:

Amy B. said...

So sorry to hear about your uncle. We will certainly be remembering your family during this time. I think it is funny that our tv and book list were comparable (a whole lot more tv than books :)Amy

Jocelyn said...

I am very sorry about your uncle. It sounds like he was an amazing man. Tell your family I will be thinking about them during this difficult time.

I forgot to put all my adoption books on my book list...DUH!! I think since I got my court date, I've lost half of my brain...ok, maybe 3/4:-) I loved Black Baby White Hands....it made me think!

jennifer said...

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle...he sounded like a very special man. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I am ordering Black Baby White Hands as soon as I am done writing here!