Monday, April 14, 2008

Big Week for Ian

This week Ian got his first tooth and started saying "Ma-Ma"! FINALLY!!! I got to hear him do it for the first time after I had been at work all day. He waited for me to get home to say it which makes me very happy that I wasn't the last to hear it! The tooth finally popped through this week after many months of chewing on everything and having a swollen spot where the tooth was coming.
Ian is growing up so fast I can't believe it sometimes. I made a DVD of our journey to him this weekend and when Cortney and I watched it we were both so surprised to see how little he was then. We are just a few days shy of having him in our arms for 4 months! I can't believe next month is birthday month. I don't think I'm ready.

We are currently completely held up on our second adoption. Everyone, even the USCIS, seems to be moving right along with our paperwork but our homestudy is still held up due to our child abuse checks. We had these checks done less than a year ago but for some reason the office that handles that is being so slow about getting the new report to our homestudy agency. This is the 4th week of waiting for a child abuse check to come back. A check that my social worker friend assured me takes only seconds to produce. I want to call and scream and yell at the lady in the Protection and Permanency office. However, that wouldn't be a very good thing to do so I am praying that the estimation she gave me is on the long side and that our checks will get to the homestudy agency sometime this week. There are days that I'm not ready for this again. I have said that many times but often I find myself not wanting to feel all of these emotions again. The constant state of hurry, trying to beat the clock (government shutdown), and no one understanding the urgency and dire need for everything to be perfect. Then I look at the pictures that tell a story about a little girl who needs a mother, father, and baby brother desperately, and I press on.

This week Cortney and I have also been thinking about all of the things our 8 year old daughter will need! What does an 8 year old need? EVERYTHING!!! I am looking forward to buying her bedroom furniture and decorating her room. My first purchase for her was pajamas. All very cute and very stylish since from the pictures we have so far and our first meeting, she appears to be quite the diva! I haven't bought any clothes because I have no idea what size to buy! But I am enjoying looking at little girl things!

We still aren't sure about the school situation. M* is in an all English speaking school but has only been there since Aug 07. She is said to be in the 2nd grade but I worry about the transition into the mainstream school system. I am not sure what we will do there. I have ready some interesting things about our options but my mind is not totally made up. Permanent homeschooling is not an option for us but possibly a good way to play catch-up. I just don't know yet.

I leave you with a video of Ian not quite using his table manners! He usually spits everything back at me at least once!

7 comments:

Sam said...

when is the government shut down over there?> i dont think that I am going to make it thru either. do they give referrals during gov't shut down time?

Quinn Girls said...

As far as schooling goes check out k12.com. They have awesome curriculum that you can purchase independently or use through a local charter school as a virtual option. It may be a great way to get Medkes caught up before enrolling her in traditional school.

Nicholas said...

He is such a joy! I love that he waited for your return home to say Mama! Praying for a speedy check for you guys!

Angie said...

lindsey, just love keeping up with you guys, so excited for you! we leave for ethiopia next weekend and i would love to say hello to and get some pics of your daughter - if you get a sec, email me angekur@gmail :)

renee treat said...

Lindsey,
Don't worry about school at all! Part of my job is working to place ESL students and to track student progress. Believe me when I say that when a child has a home where English is predominantly spoken and parents who take an interest in education, the results are amazing!!! Have no fear! In one year, her academic language will mirror her academic knowledge. Look into Rosetta Stone (expensive) but there may be some products out there that would be advantageous. Hang in there...she's going to do great!

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

Guess what?
We gor our referral and one of our daughters is good friends with your Mekdes! WOW!
Her name is Bizuayehu and she is 7 1/2!
Our other daughter, her sweet sister, is 11 months old which seems to be aronud Ian's age! Her name is Hiwot!
How cool is that?!?!
Blessings,
Kristy

Jim and Debbie said...

I've really been out of the loop. Just found out about your plans to adopt Mekdes. Congratulations!!! I believe I have some pictures of her for you. I assume she's at Gladney's older foster care where our Kuri was. We were just there in March. If so, email me at
blessed2bemomof3@yahoo.com and I'll send you some pictures.
Blessings,
Debbie