Sunday, July 8, 2007

Reading the required material

Cortney and I have been reading some really good books that have been suggested by Gladney. I hope that I can remember some of the tricks that are talked about. It has however made me worry about the childcare situation. I will get two months off with the baby after we bring him home but after that it is back to the grind. I don't have to work a whole bunch of days but my days are long and largely inconsistent. Consistency seems to be the key to developing attachment. One mother in the book went back to work and her daughter could only stand to be in day care 5 hours a day! LOL, I wonder what Rite Aid would say if at 1pm I closed the pharmacy and hit the road??? Probably...see ya! Then I talk to other working moms that say their child has a stronger bond with their caretaker than the parent. That stresses me out tremendously. For me, not working is not an option. So, I'm not sure how I will swing it but I guess I will do my very best...hopefully that is enough.
Cortney and I were talking yesterday about some crazy things that people have said to him about the adoption. These are things that he hasn't spoken with me about before so I don't know to what extent they bothered him but he was a little fired up yesterday. He had told everyone he knows that we are adopting a baby from Ethiopia. He said that this lady says to him, "Will it be black?" That is a question that I have had to field so he had an answer already prepared! He said, "No, huh uh, haven't you seen all of those white Ethiopian children in need of homes?" And walked away. LOL He also said that another fella kept referring to African Americans as "those people" and talking about how "those people acted". He made a few rude remarks about us raising a child of a different race and Cortney told him off. Cortney told him that he did not agree with how he felt about people of a different ethnicity and that they could agree to disagree but if he ever made another racist or prejudice remark in his presence that he could not predict the consequences. LOL I can imagine the fear that my 6'3" 250lb husband could incite in another individual.
So this is what it has come to, Cortney is threatening to beat people up for being racist and I have equipped him with "smarty mouth" comments for the inappropriate questions! We can't do this Ian's whole life. I know that at some point some ignorant member of the public will say something hurtful to my son and I will want to punch them out but I can't teach Ian those means of settling differences. I pray that God will give me the tools to teach Ian to love himself enough that what someone else says won't matter.
Paperwork updates: Adoption Assistance mailed the notarized copy of the agency license and we received it yesterday. It only took over a week and two phone calls to get this little piece of paper but we have it now and it along with two corrected documents will go to Kate on Monday morning. We are still awaiting our immigration approval and will probably be waiting on it until sometime in August. At which point we will begin awaiting a referral!

2 comments:

Ian's Sissy said...

GO UNCLE CORTY!!! I know that this is a big worry, but know that God is going to protect baby Ian. As far as bonding... not a problem! I know that Ian will feel ur love. Ur feeling the fear that EVERY mother has. Rest assured, sissy will be there to fill the spaces. lol

Angie said...

Go CORT!!
I have to agree with Jamie...These feelings of protectiveness just goes with being parents. Regardless of ethnicity, there will be idiots to say things that will hurt Ian, and YES you both will want to break their faces!! You just have to pray that God will give you words to educate and enlighten those that are hurtful.
God bless you both!!! :::HUGS:::