Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Day 2


YAY BREEDLOVES!!!!!! I can't wait to meet your sweet boy!!!!
Day one is a blurr that I still can't believe happened. After we got back to the room, ate lunch, and unpacked we basically just played with the baby and sent some emails. He is such a joy! I can't believe how good he is. It is amazing. He never has a complaint about being carried around to the orphanages, sitting in the restaurants and being kissed, hugged and loved on by everyone around! In just two days we can tell a difference in his personality. He has opened up a lot and the smiles and laughs come more frequently and easily. I can't imagine what he is thinking about us. So much has changed for him and how does he have any certainty that he is going to be okay with us? So much trust to ask of such a little person. We are doing our part though. In just two short days he has learned that a subtle whimper will get two adults on the move before he can make it to a cry!!! He really doesn't ask for much. Bottle, clean diaper, and a burp! I think I can put a rush on those accommodations anytime!!! He loves to be talked to and held of course. When we get home from activities I try to put him on a pillow and play with him that way since I feel so bad about carrying him all day long. We are working on his sitting up skills. He loves to pull up and fall back into the pillow. It gets a good belly laugh every time (out of us all)!!! I can't tell you how proud Cortney and I are to be the parents of this precious baby. We are truly undeserving of something so miraculous.
Today we met Ryan and two other Gladney families for breakfast. I had my first experience with Ethiopian coffee. I love coffee so I was excited. It was very strong and delicious!! Then we all went to a school where we saw Maryn Tsegrida! She is such a sweetie. It is amazing how you know their little faces from looking at pictures so many times!! I knew that she is in the Kechene house but she was there today at school. She loves Ryan so much. The 3 drivers and Ryan are all so amazing with the kids. It really warms up your heart to see the children run to them and be scooped up in their arms! Cortney had a line of kids wanting to hold his hands. They would actually push each other to get to hold your hand. Most of the children there were just in school and lived with their family in the community. I think Ryan said that only about 5 were from Kechene and available to be adopted. The kids loved to rub the hair on Cortney's arm. That was pretty funny!! One little girl decided that she would hold both of his hands so that no one else could!! He was loving it!! Next we went to the Enant Alam orphanage. This is where Ian spent his first few days before he went to Gladney. They told us that the building has moved but it was the same people. The orphanage was full. We walked in and the older children (2-7ish) were singing "Welcome to Enant Alam". They sang many songs for us. We went to the baby rooms and they were very full. Full of tiny little babies, 3 to a crib. Most were sleeping, some were frightened by all of the adults walking into the room, and others were starving for attention. Baby Ash, who is traveling with us, was from there also. They remembered having him but did not believe that Ian was from the orphanage. I asked the director if she remember Surafel. She asked me country he was from. I said here. She said where did you bring him from? I said he is from Ethiopia, he came from Addis. I guess he looked a lot different from when he was there and he was only there a few days. With so many babies I don't know how they remember anything. There was a little girl there, probably 2 or 3. She had on a cute little purple flowered dress and rain boots! She had a smile that took my breath. Cortney fed her three packs of sweet tarts. She ate them 1 at a time and smiled each time like she knew she was beautiful! It is so hard to understand how so many families are in the US aching for children and so many beautiful, wonderful children are here...needing a family. Believe me when I say that Ryan, Abby, Travis, Joanna, and Belay are doing everything they can to get our children with us. They love these kids and want the best for them all! They have told us so many times how frustrating it is here to get things done. They said you run around all day trying to get one thing accomplished and the first time they are on a coffee break, next time gone to lunch, next time gone home early. They said it is impossible sometimes to get things accomplished. Gladney now has two baby foster homes and 1 home for older children if I understood correctly. I'm not sure if the home for older children is up and going just yet but it may be. Two of the families have adopted bright futures campers. It is hard to imagine how those kids feel. Yesterday they lived in an orphanage similar to the ones we visited today. But today they got into a car and drove to the hotel with their forever family. It is such a big change for them. These kids are amazing. I can't believe how sweet and kind and wonderful they are.
Tomorrow we will go to Kechene and Kolfe. I am looking forward to meeting sweet Keller. We are a still a little tired trying to adjust to the time and our stomachs are a little shaky. I think the thing that is most difficult to get used to is the diesel fuel when you are driving in the car. I have heard other families talk about it but I never imagine that it was this bad. Today we went out onto the grounds here at the Hilton and it was refreshing to breath some fresh air. Cortney said he had huffed his limit of diesel fuel for the day!!!!! Well, I'm signing off for the night, I had better catch some shut eye while my boys are!!! Even when Cortney gets up with Ian we are about 6 inches away from each other so I may as well get up and get some kisses since he's awake!


7 comments:

jennifer said...

Lindsey, Thank you SO much for the beautiful photo of Zion...she looks so healthy! I can't tell you how much seeing her sweet face meant to me. I cry everytime I look at it. I am so happy you are united with Ian forever! May God bless the rest of your journey.

Nicholas said...

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful journey with us all. I am so happy that you are all united as a family! Looking forward to the next entries!! :)

Anonymous said...

Lindsey, it is so amazing reading your posts and seeing these precious of your new family! Have a wonderful time! We realized after the fact that much of the "uneasiness" we felt in our stomachs was actually due to altitude sickness - not sure what that's worth, but it may help you eat a bit better!

Beau Fournet said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I love hearing how your first days are going!

I can't wait to be there!!!

Laura said...

What a wonderful experience! I am so happy for you! I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face wondering if you happened to see my son at Enat Alem. He is in the baby room, only 1 1/2 months old.

God bless...
laura

Tracey in Indiana said...

I have been following your blog and am very impressed with the amount of posting you are able to do while in ET. Great Job!! Thank you, it means alot to those of us waiting for our turn! Your family is just precious :) enjoy this great experience!

Jocelyn said...

Love the pictures!! He is so sweet. I can't wait to read more.