Friday, December 21, 2007

Day 4 & 5

The morning of day 4 we got up and went to the coffee ceremony at the
Gladney foster center. This is when I had a chance to meet and take
pictures of all of the babies who had referrals this week!! How exciting
that so many babies got referred to their families. And it was also on
this day that Renee and Geert Loeffen officially became Maryn and
Keller's parents!!! Congrats!! Can't wait until you all are here!!!
After the coffee ceremony we went to an Italian restaurant with the best
view. We had lunch with all of the other families, Belay, and Travis.
After we got back to the Hilton, we took Ian down to the pool and let
him splash his feet around in the really warm water. I got some
beautiful pics of him and his dad!! I started feeling bad around then and we
came back to the room. Then I was completely out of commission for
about 24 hours!! Cortney stepped up, took over and managed me and the baby
all by himself. Ian has had a nasty cough and some other issues since
we have been here and Cortney handled everything like a pro. I can't
believe how his instincts kicked in and he became superdad so
quickly!!! We missed the authentic Ethiopian night because I was not able to go
out but we will get another chance at it next week when Renee and
Geert are here!!

This morning was our appointment at the US embassy. Still feeling
poorly, Cortney got the baby dressed and ready to go! He got all of our
things together and helped me out the door! I don't know if I could have
not gone but not going was not an option for me! We saw the embassy
dr who gave Ian a clean bill of heath and then we went for the blood
test. Blood test?? AHH, I wasn't ready to see him cry like that!!!
Cortney held him and did his very best to distract him but he screamed and
we cried. He was so brave though. He only cried for a minute and then
he was back to his smiley self!!! I can't believe how amazing he is.
He keeps us cracking up!! We came back to the room and he is napping
now with Cortney. I am finally feeling like I may make it now, so I
am catching up on some emails. We may go back out and do something
tonight if my stomach will stay steady!! I want some American food so much
right now! I would love to have some Baked Lays and a sub from
Subway!!! And I would do anything for a Diet Dr. Pepper!!! Oh well, just
over a week and we will be on the plane home.

6 comments:

Beau Fournet said...

What an adevnture. So sorry that you are sick, do hope it gets better and stays that way. Yea for Super Dad!!

Drew Carey Show said...

Oh my! This sounds just like our experience, where I too was out of commission and Drew was on full time Daddy duty. (And I also went to the embassy sick! I thought I would die!) You will feel better soon!, and I'm glad you're getting it out of the way early in the trip. Ian sounds like such a joy and so much fun. Congratulations on being a new family. It seems like the two of you are handling parenting like pros -- just rolling with the punches and savoring every moment. Well done! It's a joy seeing you all together =)

Jim and Debbie said...

so happy for you! I've been following your blog since we started our adoption. We just received our referral last Friday for our 4 year old daughter, Kuri. She's in the Gladney foster care center. If you get a chance before you leave could you pretty please take a picture of her for me? I'd be most grateful!!

Jillienne said...

I have been following your time in Ethiopia like a stalker! I look forward to every new post. We just got our referral for our son on Monday and I am so ready to be there! Enjoy the rest of your stay now that you are feeling better!

Lori said...

It's so great to hear how ya'll are doing, and we are just SO HAPPY that you were so sweet to send pictures along of all our babies. It's MADE MY DAY! Yay! We''ll be thinking of you the rest of your trip. Thank you so much.

Keva said...

Any luck? Have you found Isaac yet! We are dying to get some pictures!

Just a few more days and you will be home sweet home.